My TBR (to be read list) has ballooned to gigantic proportions in the past month. It was clear I was never going to get through it. Last weekend I spent an entire afternoon when I should have been getting ready for Thanksgiving cleaning it out.
If a book met any of this criteria I deleted it. It was kind of heart wrenching, but I figure if it was meant to be the book will come back to me some day.
1) Anything that had vampires in it went. The thought of vampires makes me want to vomit so I didn't have a lot of them in there, but a few snuck through. I can't even drink tomato juice. There's no way I'd read a book about vampires
2) Books involving unsolved murders of elementary school age kids or murders of mom who leave young kids behind.
3) Books I included when they were new and promising, but now only have two star reviews.
4) Books that are on my list only because I feel guilty for never having read them.
5) If I was on the fence about it, and my library doesn't have it.
6) Books that I keep returning unread.
7) Books with endings that seem to infuriate people. Given the current climate in this country, I prefer solid endings.
8) Too many people call a book weird or experimental.
I was able to take my list from 499 to 345 books.
Do you ever clean out your TBR? What are your rules?